courses and projects
"Web therapy for fictional characters"
- Get online resources (scripts, textbook material & forms)
- Interact as your character on Zoom calls
- Analyse & perform on the spot
Inspired by a popular comedy series as well as social distancing measures that took over in 2020, this quirky online course is a fun way to directly practice acting skills.
Students are coached into maintaining character as they interact with their mock-therapist (instructor), effectively testing their character study. Through this playful process, students fully develop believable characters that they bring to life directly in session work.
The private, 4-session course caters to actors looking enhance their performance skills or even authors interested in fleshing out fictional characters. Each session lasts 50 minutes.
CURTAIN CALL: Get briefed on resources provided, scripts, and lesson plan.
DONNING THE MASK: Improvise a full conversation, sustaining character.
LIVING THE ROLE: Have your character tested by your mock-analyst.
GRAND FINALE: Perform/ read short scene/excerpt & debrief.
All teaching material is provided by the instructor via Dropbox. Sessions take place on Zoom.
· Participants need to be able to use Dropbox and Zoom applications.
· Students choose a character from a selection of plays provided and read the play at their leisure, preferably within 2 months of the 3-month course validity.
· Minimum age of participants: 18
- Upon booking, the instructor will contact you to schedule video calls and provide links.
- 50-minute sessions timing options: Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays 2pm-6pm (GMT +4)
- 1 session per week maximum per student.
- Course is valid 90 days upon booking.
(discounts on Skilldeer platform: https://skilldeer.com/uae/dubai/arts-entertainment/acting-improv/online-class-web-character-analysis-for-actors-authors-online-class-7506)
Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi
original student adaptation:
For the 2020-2021 academic year, the SUAD theatre group focuses on theatre related to the Arab world.
As segment 1 of 3 for this year's project, Protagoras Confined is a translation and adaptation of Wajdi Mouawad's first published play, Willy Protagoras Enfermé Dans Les Toilettes, only available in French until now.
Rehearsals and filming online are set for January-February 2021. Aspiring performers around the globe are invited to join.
For U.A.E.-based actors, the group will also invite members of the community to take part in live performances for parts 2 & 3 if circumstances allow in the Spring 2021.
To join, please contact: email@example.com
Watch the short announcement here:
Read about the group on the student blog: https://theatrepsuad.wordpress.com/