courses and projects
"Web therapy for fictional characters"
- Get online resources (scripts, textbook material & forms)
- Interact as your character on Zoom calls
- Analyse & perform on the spot
Inspired by a popular comedy series as well as social distancing measures that took over in 2020, this quirky online course is a fun way to directly practice acting skills.
Students are coached into maintaining character as they interact with their mock-therapist (instructor), effectively testing their character study. Through this playful process, students fully develop believable characters that they bring to life directly in session work.
The private, 4-session course caters to actors looking enhance their performance skills or even authors interested in fleshing out fictional characters. Each session lasts 50 minutes.
CURTAIN CALL: Get briefed on resources provided, scripts, and lesson plan.
DONNING THE MASK: Improvise a full conversation, sustaining character.
LIVING THE ROLE: Have your character tested by your mock-analyst.
GRAND FINALE: Perform/ read short scene/excerpt & debrief.
All teaching material is provided by the instructor via Dropbox. Sessions take place on Zoom.
· Participants need to be able to use Dropbox and Zoom applications.
· Students choose a character from a selection of plays provided and read the play at their leisure, preferably within 2 months of the 3-month course validity.
· Minimum age of participants: 18
- Upon booking, the instructor will contact you to schedule video calls and provide links.
- 50-minute sessions timing options: Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays 2pm-6pm (GMT +4)
- 1 session per week maximum per student.
- Course is valid 90 days upon booking.
(discounts on Skilldeer platform: https://skilldeer.com/uae/dubai/arts-entertainment/acting-improv/online-class-web-character-analysis-for-actors-authors-online-class-7506)
Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi
original student adaptation:
For the 2020-2021 academic year, the SUAD theatre group focuses on theatre related to the Arab world.
As segment 1 of 3 for this year's project, Protagoras Confined is a translation and adaptation of Wajdi Mouawad's first published play, Willy Protagoras Enfermé Dans Les Toilettes, only available in French until now.
Rehearsals and filming online ongoing for an April launch!
Watch the short announcement here:
Read about the group on the student blog: https://theatrepsuad.wordpress.com/